Monday, December 10, 2012

Trader Tots


My kids thought me even more insane than normal as I kept yelling "trader tots" because of the punny nature of it. Plus their weird looks were making me laugh more.
I have an odd issue with textures, but when it comes to tater tots and fries I want the outside to be super crunchy and well well done, and the inside to be mealy and delish.
I like sonic tots when done EXPERTLY, however 99% of the time you get the cold and soggy version. The rare day when they are done really well is always a happy day.

Cooking them myself tends to be better, but I always cook my potato items nearly double the suggested time. If that gives you any idea.

Pros - The outside was SUPER crisp and nearly over done, even from the frozen state. IMHO this makes them perfectly done.
Cons - Inside was more mashed potato than baked potato, if you get what I mean. I enjoy the texture of the sonic tots (done well) where you can almost pick out the bits of potato but they are mealy and good but have a little fight left in them. The TTs were a bit mushy for me.

However - Trader tots are definately better than sonic tots are 99% of the time, and fun to cook at home. When you have young kids like mine who consider ketchup a side dish, tots are always a hit with them :)

B

No comments:

Post a Comment