Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Shrimp fried rice

Going hand in hand with my weird texture issues (again, thanks mom!) goes my general distaste for seafood. Which stinks because it's oh so healthy, but I haven't gotten over it yet. Plus, this has visible onions and that would never do in my world.
However, that being said I really encourage my kids to try new foods, even if that means making 2 different meals for us. I'm just that side of awesome.
So the boys like shrimp, or "shrumps" as my lil one called them for awhile. It was pretty darn cute.
They also do not have my weird food issues at this point in time, so good work self.

I bought this because the younger of the two begged for me to get him some shrimps, and while the idea of even cooking it kinda squicks me out - I figured the fried rice wouldn't be too bad, and it was SUPER cheap. 2.99 and it makes a healthy 4c of rice.
I think it would be enough for a entire meal for 2 adults even, or one REALLY hungry person. easily side dish type for a few adults.
Lucky(?) for me, my two kids who are still shy of double digits eat like they ARE adult size. The younger one gobbled up all the shrimps (as he says) and proclaimed my ex made him a super big lunch and he was full. He didn't say he didn't like it, kept claiming he did....so I think we'll buy again. Sometimes they just are not hungry, but it's fairly rare.

The elder of the two got the slightly larger portion size and inhaled it like someone was going to take his plate away at any moment. Honestly he may have actually been able to eat the ENTIRE package if i'd let him. But in fairness, the other day he ate 4 pieces of pizza PLUS a dessert item, and I ate two. I also *only* eat dinner, and he eats 4-5 meals a day. He's GOT to be hitting a growth spurt, i've been waiting for it to happen for several years now. he really hasn't grown hardly any since like kindy/1st. his brother is 3yrs younger and only 3" shorter. course both of them are still freakishly tall....but the younger one is unbelievably so.

This is def a cheap and easy way for me to not only sneak in some acceptable veggies on them, but keep them eating a bigger variety of foods. And the size was PERFECT for the two of them. at 3 bucks it was a hell of a bargain.

I have read several reviews and they are all quite good, however I suspect the palates of the under 10 crowd might be slightly less umm...sophisticated than the average adult. Sure smelled good and looked pleasing, but I obviously cannot rate based on my own tastes.

B+

No comments:

Post a Comment